What does an exfoliant do?
Exfoliation helps remove damaged, dead skin layers, revealing smoother, brighter skin. Our skin naturally sheds over 30,000 dead cells per minute, but this process slows due to aging, damage, stress, dehydration, or makeup. Exfoliation maintains healthy skin renewal.
Types are some different types of exfoliants you can use on your skin:
- Physical: Use friction for exfoliation, like scrubs, brushes, and mitts.
- Chemical: Utilise Hydroxy Acids, Enzymes, and Retinol to digest or loosen dead skin, working below the surface without friction.
- Acid-free smoothing agents: Modern ingredients like Yeast, Glucosamine, and Prickly Pear Extract promote gentle exfoliation without irritation.
How often should I exfoliate?
How often you should exfoliate depends on the exfoliating product you use and your individual skin type. If your exfoliant contains a high concentration of active ingredients, we recommend starting with a gentle frequency and gradually increasing it as your skin becomes accustomed. For those with sensitive skin, exfoliating twice a week may be the maximum amount your skin can comfortably handle.
Finding the right exfoliant for you
When selecting the right exfolliant for your skin, its important to know your skin type and then target the exfoliation to the concern you have eg Ageing, Pigmentation, Acne, Dehydration or Sensitive skin.
- Address fine lines and wrinkles with retinol, but if your skin is sensitive, start slowly
- For pigmentation issues, lactic acid and glycolic acid are a great start
- Combat acne with salicylic acid
- Hydrate dehydrated skin with lactic acid
- If you have sensitive skin prone to irritation, choose extremely mild exfoliants and introduce them gradually
- For teens and acne, opt for a Salicylic acid blend
- We always recommend using sunscreen to protect your skin
The Dermalogica Favourites
Here are the favourite exfoliants amongst us and our customer. After reading through each and you need some more guidance around which exfoliant is right for you, please reach out to us. We offer complimentary Online Skin Consultations via zoom, email or phone.
- Targeted for concerns of uneven skin tone, clogged pores, congestion
- A gentle exfoliation leaves the skin smoother and more radiant without harsh abrasion.
- Helps brightens the complexion and regular use use can help fade pigmentation, age spots, and uneven skin tone.
- Targeted to concerns of adult acne, breakouts, congestion
- Targets acne and signs of aging simultaneously.
- Salicylic acid and niacinamide helps clear breakouts and tackles fine lines and wrinkles.
- Diminishes blemishes, prevents future breakouts, and soothes irritated skin, promoting a clearer, more even complexion
- Targeted to concerns of ageing and clogged pores
- A potent professional-grade peel, featuring a high-powered blend of hydraoxy acids and fruit enzymes
- Minimies wrinkles, reduces pore appearance, and enhances skin brightness and evenness
- Significantly enhances radiance and visibly smooth the skin's texture
- Targeted for the sensitive skin
- Delicately polishes the skin using a blend of exfoliants including oatmeal powder which allows a senstive skin to be exfoliated more frequently
- Helps maintains the skin moisture barrer and leaves the skin feeling calm after use
- Very versatile and suitlable for allskin types
About the Author
My name is Sarah and I am the founder of GLO Skin Body. With 20 years experience, I believe a professional relationship with your skin therapist is crucial in helping you to achieve your skin care goals and to ensure your skin is always looking and feeling its best. Whether it's in person or through our online support, Im here to guide and support you towards your healthiest skin ever.
On a personal note, I am a Mum of 3 so I understand completely the juggles and balancing of life and family commitments . My goal is to help everyone have an effective and enjoyable home care routine that gets you the results you want...no matter how busy you are!