Breakouts - the most frustrating, painful and inconvenient concern we can experience on our skin. I get it! As a teenager, I experienced large and painful breakouts, and as an adult, I've struggled with it occasionally as well. We just want them GONE!
One of the most common questions about acne is "Should I squeeze my pimples?". The answer, in short, is NO. But first, let me help you understand why we get breakouts and how to treat them appropriately.
What are breakouts?
A breakout is also called a papule or a pustule (or simply a pimple). It happens when an oil gland or sebaceous follicle becomes blocked, which leads to inflammation, redness and often tenderness.
Why do I get them?
There can be many reasons. Here are the main ones:
- Hormonal fluctuations
- For some people, certain foods can cause breakouts
- Dehydrated skin
- Incorrect product use
- Inconsistency with home care
Why do breakouts take so long to heal?
As we age, our skin's ability to heal itself slows down. That's why it takes so long for an adult breakout to go away.
Plus, if we decide to conduct our own bathroom surgery and squeeze our breakouts, we can cause even more damage and extend the skin's healing time. Sometimes it feels that annoying pimple has been around forever!
Should I squeeze my breakouts?
Our hands are like magnets when we have a breakout, continually trying to touch them. It's seems to be our way of reminding ourselves they are there.
I also have been known to squeeze breakouts and hope that it will make it go away faster. Trying to squeeze a breakout that isn't ready will only cause further inflammation under the skin and we risk the inflammation spreading to the next follicle.
We also risk spreading the infection deeper into the skin. Have you ever squeezed a breakout only to find you get one right next to it? This is a risk we take if we squeeze our breakouts.
Squeezing a breakout can also make it stay around for longer, potentially causing scarring and pigmentation marks afterwards.
If we absolutely need to squeeze a breakout, my recommendation is to only do it if the breakout is ready. Wash your hands, cleanse the skin to ensure its thoroughly clean and then, using a tissue, carefully squeeze the breakout.
Follow with a topical breakout treatment to help focus on healing and preventing new breakouts from forming.
What can I use to treat breakouts?
Dermalogica has treatments that specifically target breakouts and acne in teenagers and adults.
Here are my top picks to treat breakouts:
- Time-released Retinol helps reduce visible signs of premature ageing and Salicylic Acid helps clear breakouts.
- Gentle enough to use nightly
- Gives you visibly clearer skin the next morning
- 2-in-1 Clearing and Brightening Serum
- Niacinamide helps give a more even skin tone
- Helps bring the skin back to life post breakout
- Helps prevent breakouts while reducing visible skin-ageing
- Targets post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation
- Helps the skins microbiome for clearer, brighter skin
- Niacinamidey fades post-breakout marks
- Clay and Charcoal Cleanser for oily skin
- Removes excess oil and purifies the pores
- Doubles as a refreshing face mask. Just leave on for 10 to 15 minutes and rinse well
Struggling with teenage breakouts? These are our 2 heros in the Clear Start range by Dermalogica
- Lightweight and fast-acting
- Clears breakouts fast
- Niacinimide reduces the discolouration they leave behind
- Can be used as a spot treatment or as a preventative serum all over the face
- Active fizzing formula clears pores and targets blackheads
- Works by opening the pores, decongesting the skin and facilitating blackhead clearing
- Sulfur helps keep skin clear. Kaolin Clay absorbs excess oil and purifies the skin
If you need any further assistance as to your breakouts and how to tackle them, please reach out to us here.
About the Author
My name is Sarah and I am the founder of GLO Skin Body. With over 17 years experience, I believe a professional relationship with your skin therapist is crucial in helping you to achieve your skin care goals and to ensure your skin is always looking and feeling its best. Whether it's in person or through our online support, Im here to guide and support you towards your healthiest skin ever.
On a personal note, I am a Mum of 3 so I understand completely the juggles and balancing of life and family commitments . My goal is to help everyone have an effective and enjoyable home care routine that gets you the results you want...no matter how busy you are!