Acne, breakouts, pimples, zits! These are all relevant names for those unwanted spots we get on our skin. Whether it's an occasional breakout or a constant daily battle, all types of acne are frustrating. I have had my time experiencing acne (as a teenager and as an adult) and I know what's going on inside your head "Why do I get them and how can I get them to go away...for good!"
One of the most common advice topics we receive via our online support is breakouts and what can be used to treat them.
What is Acne?
Acne is a skin condition that occurs when your hair follicles become clogged with oil and dead skin cells. It causes whiteheads, blackheads or pimples. Acne is most common among teenagers, although it affects people of all ages. Acne most commonly develops on your face, back, neck, chest, and shoulders.
The first sign of oil on your skin is blackheads and whiteheads. Blackheads open at the surface of your skin, giving them a black appearance because of oxygen in the air. Whiteheads are closed just under the surface of your skin, giving them a white appearance.
From here, an inflammatory lesion can also occur and are likely to cause pain, swelling and scarring. These lesions can be one of the following:
1. Papules - Small, red, raised bumps caused by inflamed or infected hair follicles
2. Pustules - Small red pimples that have pus in the tip
3. Nodules - Solid, often painful lumps beneath the surface of your skin
4. Cysts - Large lumps found beneath your skin that contain pus and are usually painful
Salicylic Acid. - The best skincare acid for Acne
Oil, bacteria and dead skin cells...these are your breakouts best friends! These factors make your breakouts thrive, increase and hang around (NOT what we want when it comes to our skin). The good news is, your breakouts have an enemy - Salicylic Acid and this is the best skincare acid for acne skin.
Salicylic acid works to treat acne by unclogging blocked pores. It has the ability to break down the bonds between the dead skin cells so that they can be released from the pores more easily. Add to this it also helps to break down oils in the skin, preventing build up.
Salicylic Acid is a very popular ingredient in. skin care and we have selected our Dermalogica favourites when it comes to salicylic acid treating adult and teenage skin.
Our Top picks for Adult Acne
- A prebiotic-enhanced, foaming breakout clearing cleanser
- Helps clear skin and reduce visible skin ageing
- A two-in-one brightening and clearing serum
- Clears and helps prevent breakouts
- Reduces visible skin ageing.
- A unique rice-based enzyme powder with a botanical brightening complex
- Microfoliates dulling debris and instantly leaves skin noticeably smoother and brighter. Can be used daily
- A two-in-one brightening spot treatment
- Reduces appearance of active breakouts and post-breakout marks.
Our Top Picks for Teenagers
- Foaming soap-free wash
- Clears dead skin cells, dirt and excess oils to treat and prevent breakouts.
- Clear pores
- Kills breakout-causing bacteria for rapid skin clearing.
About the Author
My name is Sarah and I am the founder of GLO Skin Body. With over 17 years experience, I believe a professional relationship with your skin therapist is crucial in helping you to achieve your skin care goals and to ensure your skin is always looking and feeling its best. Whether it's in person or through our online support, Im here to guide and support you towards your healthiest skin ever.
On a personal note, I am a Mum of 3 so I understand completely the juggles and balancing of life and family commitments . My goal is to help everyone have an effective and enjoyable home care routine that gets you the results you want...no matter how busy you are!