If there’s one thing you need take from this, it's this: Sunscreen is a must every single day of the year!
UV levels are not related to heat. This means that regardless of the season, the month or the weather on a particular day, we must apply sunscreen daily The UV rays will affect you in the exact same way on a cloudy winter day as they would on a hot summer day.
It’s a wide misconception that we only need to apply sunscreen when the sun is out or when it is hot. Sun damage is not just waiting to happen when you are lying on the beach on a tropical getaway. It’s the silent danger that is present year round and we need to be more vigilant when it comes to applying our SPF year round.
It’s a worrying fact that only about 20% of Australians wear sunscreen in Winter (according to a survey by Canstar Cannex). Depending on where you live in Australia, the requirement changes, so it’s important that you educate yourself on the daily UV levels where you are. The Cancer Council’s SunSmart App is available on the App Store and shows a localised daily UV rating. As a minimum, anything above UV 3 requires sun protection but the best skincare advice is to make a life-long commitment to applying your sunscreen everyday.
It’s also important to remember that SPF products have an expiry date printed on the bottle. If your sunscreen has expired, toss it! It means the SPF is no longer active and you will not be protected from the Sun.
So next time it’s raining and cold outside, don’t forget your jumper, scarf… AND your SPF Moisturiser!
Which sunscreen is right for me?
Finding the right mosituriser with in-built sunscreen is important - it needs to feel comfortable, be protective and target your skin concerns. All Dermalogica SPF moisturisers protect against the harmful UVA and UVB rays and below we take you through which will with protect and target your concerns:
Targets concerns of skin ageing
- Moisture-rich spheres made from Safflower Seeds allow for SPF performance while using fewer chemical sunscreens
- Enhances the skin’s natural ability to fight skin-ageing free radicals
- Regulates the degeneration of collagen
- Provides long-lasting hydration and reinforces skin’s natural moisture barrier.
- Provides critical protection from daylight exposure, yet blends smoothly into the skin to create a perfected finish
Ideal for sensitive skins
- Suitable for all skin tones
- Provides a soothing effect and helps reduce UV-induced redness and dryness
- Helps fight free radical damage UV and visible light
- Calming and hydrating
- No chemical sunscreens present
Mattifying SPF moisturiser
- Lightweight and ultra-sheer formula
- Mattifies oily skin
- Oil-free formula is perfect if you dislike the oil feeling on your skin
- Provides defense against skin-aging UV light
Radiance boosting sunscreen
Prisma Protect SPF15 works with the skin’s daytime defense mode to:
- Defend against UV rays, free radical damage and pollution
- Hydrate for visibly smooth skin all day long
- Boost the skin’s natural luminosity
For the teenagers
- Ultra-lightweight andprovidesa long-lasting matte finish.
Shields the skin from UV rays, pollution, make-up and dehydration
without clogging pores
- Combats the dehydrating effectsof environmental stress
- Certified cruelty-free, gluten-free and vegan
If you need any advice about your skin, we are here to help! We offer complimentary zoom consultations (no zoom account needed) to help with your skin concerns face to face, from the comfort of your own home!
Click on advice to book a day and time that suits you best. We would love to hear from you.
About the Author
My name is Sarah and I am the founder of GLO Skin Body. With almost 20 years experience, I believe a professional relationship with your skin therapist is crucial in helping you to achieve your skin care goals and to ensure your skin is always looking and feeling its best. Whether it's in person or through our online support, Im here to guide and support you towards your healthiest skin ever.
On a personal note, I am a Mum of 3 so I understand completely the juggles and balancing of life and family commitments . My goal is to help everyone have an effective and enjoyable home care routine that gets you the results you want...no matter how busy you are!