As the temperatures drop and the air becomes drier, our skin requires extra care and attention to maintain its health and radiance. Winter weather can be harsh on our skin (even if you live in the far northern parts of Australia) often leading to issues such as dryness, flakiness, and irritation. However, with the right skincare routine and effective strategies, you can keep your skin glowing and hydrated all winter long.
Here are my top tips or keeping your skin feeling great this winter:
1. Target hydration
When the air becomes drier, our skin can quickly feel parched, often described as "dry." It's crucial to prioritise hydration every day, regardless of the season. My go-to product for this is the Circular Hydration Serum, which provides three effective ways to hydrate the skin:
- Draws in moisture from the environment to the skin, even in low-humidity conditions.
- Seals in hydration and prevents moisture loss from the skin.
- Boosts the production of hyaluronic acid, a natural component of the skin that helps retain moisture.
2. Add in a Toner
Using a toner after cleansing is highly recommended. Toners prepare the skin for serums and moisturisers, ensuring optimal absorption across all areas of the face and neck. Dermalogica toners can be used during the day for a hydration boost, even over makeup, providing a refreshing pick-me-up for the skin.
For an easy guide to which Dermalogica Toner is right for you:
- Protect and hydrate Hyaluronic Ceramide Mist
Firm and hydrate: Antioxidant Hydramist
Calm and hydrate: UltraCalming Mist
- Pure hydration: Multi Active Toner
3. Reassess your Moisturiser
Did you know that during the cooler months, our skin's oil flow tends to decrease? This is because colder temperatures can reduce the production of oil/sebum, and as a result, many people may find it helpful to switch to a slightly more nourishing moisturiser in the winter season.
Here's a basic outline of how this can be applied using some of the Dermalogica Moisturisers:
- Active Moist to Skin Smoothing Cream
- Skin Smoothing Cream to Intensive Moisture Balance
- Intensive Moisture Balance to Super Rich Repair
4. Apply your Sunscreen
Using sunscreen is important even in winter as harmful UV rays from the sun are still present. Snow can intensify UV exposure in snowy climates, and indoor UV exposure is possible when spending more time indoors near windows. While sunburn may be less likely in winter, UV rays can still damage the skin, leading to premature aging and collagen degradation.
5. Tackle dry skin after your shower
During the winter season, it's common to indulge in longer, hot showers. However, hot water can strip our skin of its natural oils, leaving it dry and dehydrated. That's why it's essential to apply body moisturiser immediately after a shower, when the skin is still damp. Doing so has several benefits.
- Your body moisturiser creates a barrier that locks in the moisture, keeping the skin hydrated for longer.
- Your damp skin is more receptive to skincare products, allowing the moisturiser to penetrate deeply and provide nourishment to the skin's deeper layers.
- It helps to replenish and preserve the skin's natural oils, which are often lost during showering.
As little tip and for extra body hydration during the day, keep some body moisturiser in your kitchen and use this as often as needed on the exposed areas.
6. Nutritional support for the skin
The Skin Ultimate supplement from Advanced Nutrition Programme is a comprehensive blend of skin-loving ingredients that work synergistically to improve skin health, hair and nail health. Packed in convenient daily pods, each pod contains a combination of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that provide intensive youthful radiance. The key ingredients in Skin Ultimate include:
- Skin Vit A+: Helps to even skin tone, promote skin renewal, and smooth the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Skin Omegas +: Provides essential omega-3 fatty acids that nourish the skin from within, helping to maintain skin hydration, support skin health, and promote skin radiance.
- Skin Antioxidant: Contains powerful antioxidants such as vitamins C and E, selenium, and zinc, which help to protect the skin from oxidative stress caused by environmental factors and promote overall skin health.
- Skin Asta-Boost: Helps to safeguard the skin from external stressors, promoting skin health and radiance.
- CoQ10+: A naturally occurring antioxidant that helps to rejuvenate the skin and support skin health. It also promotes overall well-being.
If you need any advice or guidance about your skin or Dermalogica, please reach out to us. We offer complimentary Online Skin Consultations via email, zoom or phone.
About the Author
My name is Sarah and I am the founder of GLO Skin Body. With almost 20 years experience, I believe a professional relationship with your skin therapist is crucial in helping you to achieve your skin care goals and to ensure your skin is always looking and feeling its best. Whether it's in person or through our online support, Im here to guide and support you towards your healthiest skin ever.
On a personal note, I am a Mum of 3 so I understand completely the juggles and balancing of life and family commitments . My goal is to help everyone have an effective and enjoyable home care routine that gets you the results you want...no matter how busy you are!