Dermaplaning has become an on-trend treatment and a popular choice for clients visiting our Skin Treatment Centre. It has incredible results around exfoliation and hair removal of the face and upper jaw area.
Sounds exciting already?
Dermaplaning removes the top layer from the surface of the skin and peach fuzz hair (vellus hair) using a small blade. It comes with some incredible benefits:
- Your skin feels smooth, soft and bright immediately.
- Helps even out skin tone as we remove the dry, dull surface dead skin cells
- Helps products to penetrate your skin better
- No downtime - which means you can put make-up on straight away
- Provides better application and result for your make-up application
- It’s less sensitive to the skin compared to waxing
- Minimises fine lines
- No pain whatsoever during the treatment
- It can be an add on to intensive treatment for better results
- It's a great option for clients who are sensitive to chemical exfoliation
- A safe option during pregnancy
- Safe for most skin types
Is it the same as shaving?
Dermaplaning is a skin exfoliating treatment that gives the skin physically deep exfoliation. It removes the top layers of skin using a small single-use blade and has a bonus of removing the peach fuzz hair! The result should last approx a month. It is different from shaving because shaving is done with a razor that does not deeply remove the skin layer like Dermaplaning. Hairs growing back after shaving tend to be thicker, darker and grow back a lot quicker.
Another difference is that Dermaplaning only removes peach fuzz hair, not dark coloured, thick and long hairs.
How will the hair grow back?
This is the most frequently asked question about this skin treatment. Don't worry! Following the Dermaplaning, the hair will grow back normally, exactly as it was before, it won't be thicker, darker or grow in more quantity.
What happens during this treatment?
It is a relatively relaxing treatment. You should not feel any pain. If your skin is sensitive to a physical stimulator, you may feel tingling. But it should not be too uncomfortable.
You'll lie down and the treatment starts with cleansing the skin and making sure that the skin is free from grease so that the blade can move smoothly over the contours of the face. Your therapist asks you to move your face in a particular direction during the procedure. The Dermaplaning lasts for about 30 minutes. It depends on your treatment course, but this procedure could be combined with a facial, chemical peel, needling and IPL to intensify the result.
What should I expect after the treatment?
- The skin may have a little pinkness, however, it will settle quickly
- Avoid direct sun exposure for at least 2 days
- Wear SPF just like after any other treatment
- Makeup can be applied straight after the treatment if needed
- Exercise and bathe as usual after your treatment.
- Take a break from exfoliating products for at least 3 days, like Retinol, AHA’s and BHA’s.
- Applying a serum and/or a masque will be ideal as the ingredients will penetrate much easier into the skin
- For best results, we recommend your first 2 sessions at a 2-3 weekly interval and then 4-6 weeks after this.
Can I perform that treatment at home?
We suggest leaving this type of treatment to a professional Skin Therapist as you may risk cutting the skin, scarring and even causing an infection.
Can anyone have this procedure?
It is safe for all skin types even if you have sensitive skin. There are some conditions, however, that are not suitable for Dermaplaning. These are:
- Medication - blood thinning medication or skin thinning medication
- Open wounds
- Inflamed acne
- Raised lesions
- Cold sores
If you'd like to know more about Dermaplaning, give us a call on 1300 828 131 or email us for a complimentary consultation with one of our Skin Therapists!