Hands up who thought 2020 was the year of Covid and that come 2021 we wouldn't need masks anymore? I'll put my hand up for this one. I was a little optimistic.
We need to make sure we are protecting ourselves and those in our community around us. And whilst a mask serves its purpose, it can bring some unwanted changes to our skin known as 'Maskne'. It's very common.
The medical term for “maskne” is acne mechanica, a skin condition brought on by prolonged wear of facial personal protective equipment.
Why does our skin react to wearing a mask?
- Masks cause an increase in heat, friction and blockages. Combined with the increase in moisture, sweat and oil, it turns into a breeding ground for breakouts and congestion (if you have acne-prone skin).
- Oil, bacteria and blocked pores can also build up more from wearing a mask.
- This prolonged period of increased heat, sweat etc can also cause the skin to become irritated, itchy and sensitive.
- The rubbing of the mask against the skin leads to chafing and irritation.
- Skin conditions like Rosacea and Dermatitis may find their skin to be more sensitive, irritated and bumpy as a result
How to tackle Maskne!
Although maskne can be frustrating, it's important to keep wearing face coverings during the COVID-19 pandemic. In some cases, wearing a mask is going to be short term however for our frontline heroes, these masks have become part of their uniform.
Here are our top tips to help your skin stay strong and protected during these times:
- Cleanse your skin morning and night (double cleanse at night) with a gentle cleanser like the UltraCalming Cleanser
- Keep your skin refreshed and cool throughout the day by spritzing the UltraCalming Mist . This will help keep your skin cool and calm.
- Ensure your skin is moisturised before you wear your mask (we love how soothing and cooling the Calm Water Gel is on the skin).
- Target breakouts with a serum at night (our favourite is the Age Bright Clearing Serum) to help clear build up and risk an increase of breakouts and congestion.
- Wash your reusable mask after every use or if you are using a disposable mask, ensure you wear a clean one with each day.
- If you can avoid or reduce your make up to help avoid any extra build up and clogging on the skin.
Our go-to Dermalogica products to calm and clear:
If you need any advice about your skin, we are here to help! We offer complimentary zoom consultations (no zoom account needed) to help with your skin concerns face to face, from the comfort of your own home!
Click on advice to book a day and time that suits you best. We would love to hear from you.
About the Author
My name is Sarah and I am the founder of GLO Skin Body. With over 17 years experience, I believe a professional relationship with your skin therapist is crucial in helping you to achieve your skin care goals and to ensure your skin is always looking and feeling its best. Whether it's in person or through our online support, Im here to guide and support you towards your healthiest skin ever.
On a personal note, I am a Mum of 3 so I understand completely the juggles and balancing of life and family commitments . My goal is to help everyone have an effective and enjoyable home care routine that gets you the results you want...no matter how busy you are!