Exfoliation is a game changer when it comes to our skin and can improve many of the skin concerns we experience. Our skin is pre-programmed to continuously shed and renew itself. This process can be easily slowed down by many factors including age, stress, the environment, dehydration and a lack of sleep.
Exfoliation keeps the accelerator on the skin’s renewal process and removes the outer layers of damaged, dead skin, revealing smooth, refined and brighter skin.
Common types of exfoliation
Exfoliation can come in many forms and doesnt necessarily need to be a 'granular' type of exfoliant to get the best results for your skin
- Physical Exfoliation: The skin is exfoliated by means of manual friction. Think of your granular scrubs, facial brushes and mitts.
- Chemical Exfoliation: Actives such as Hydroxy Acids, Enzymes and Retinol (Vitamin A) exfoliate by means of digesting and/or loosening dead skin. They are more powerful than physical exfoliants as they can go below the skin’s surface.
- Acid-free smoothing agents: These are state-of-the-art ingredients that promote natural exfoliation without any friction or irritation. Some examples of these ingredients are Yeast, Glycosamine and Urea.
Life without exfoliation
If you’ve gone from using an exfoliator regularly to stopping for even a few days, the first things you will notice is a build-up in the pores and your skin’s texture becoming ‘rough’. This is because exfoliation removes built up dirt and grime on the surface and within the pores, depending on the type of exfoliant used.
By not exfoliating, you’re more likely to battle with breakouts and blackheads, have more fine lines and a dull appearance. The texture of the skin may feel rough with flaky patches, causing your foundation to look uneven.
Exfoliation makes for happy, healthy skin
Here are the main benefits of exfoliating your skin regularly:
- Helps treat almost any skin challenge
- Keeps your skin feel consistently soft and smooth
- Helps prevent and manage breakouts
- Removes dry/dehydrated skin cells from the surface of the skin
- Allows your skincare products to absorb more effectively into your skin
- Helps with the appearance of an uneven skin tone
Our favourite Dermalogica exfoliants
Exfoliation is the second step in your skincare routine, after cleansing. It can be something you do daily or weekly, depending on the type of exfoliant you use. If you’re time poor or wanting to keep your skincare simple, there’s exfoliants that can be conveniently mixed in with cleansers. Once you’ve exfoliated, any other products applied to the skin will absorb more effectively, enhancing their results. Post exfoliation is a great time to masque.
- Microfoliates dulling dead skin cells
- Instantly leaves your skin noticeably smoother and brighter.
- Can be used daily on most skins
- A combo of physical and chemical exfoliants ideal for concerns or ageing and premature ageing skins
- Warms up on application to help drive age-fighting actives into the skin
- A two-in-one brightening and clearing serum
- Contains Salicylic Acid that clears and helps prevent breakouts while reducing visible skin ageing
- A highly-active powder that helps fight the biochemical and environmental triggers that accelerate skin ageing
- Helps lift and remove pollution particles from the skin
- Ideal to use at night time
- The gentilest way to exfoliate your skin
- Ideal for all skins especially and if you have sensitive and delicate skins
- Gently polishes the skins, Replenishes and supports your skin’s moisture barrier
- Provides an overall calming, soothing and smoothing effect
If you need any advice about your skin, we are here to help! We offer Complimentary Zoom Consultations (no zoom account needed) to help with your skin concerns face to face, from the comfort of your own home!
Click on advice to book a day and time that suits you best. We would love to hear from you!
About the Author
My name is Sarah and I am the founder of GLO Skin Body. With almost 20 years experience, I believe a professional relationship with your skin therapist is crucial in helping you to achieve your skin care goals and to ensure your skin is always looking and feeling its best. Whether it's in person or through our online support, Im here to guide and support you towards your healthiest skin ever.
On a personal note, I am a Mum of 3 so I understand completely the juggles and balancing of life and family commitments . My goal is to help everyone have an effective and enjoyable home care routine that gets you the results you want...no matter how busy you are!