Good skincare habits begin when we are young. Helping to educate our young ones on the importance of taking care of their skin and what is best to use is the first step for healthy, radiant skin when they get older.
These habits are guaranteed to follow them through in adult life so let's help them start off on the right foot to healthy skin!
Here are some common questions we get asked from teenagers about cleansing:
Why do I need to cleanse my face?
Regardless of your age, cleansing is the most important step in every home care routine! For all other skincare products to work effectively, we need to ensure the skin is prepped and ready to receive their benefits.
During the night, our skin secretes oils and toxins, so in the morning, cleansing the skin allows us to start the day with fresh, squeaky-clean skin. Always apply your moisturiser and SPF in the morning to keep the skin hydrated and protected. We recommend the Oil Clearing Matte Moisturiser.
At night, our skin needs to be double cleansed to ensure we remove the day's nasties from our skin (oil, dirt, grime). So, every single night we double cleanse the skin and follow with our nighttime skincare.
What should I use to cleanse my face?
We recommend the Breakout Clearing Foaming Wash, which is part of Dermalogica's Clear Start system - A system designed and formulated around the most common concerns when it comes to teenage skin: Oil, congestion, breakouts and sensitivity.
The Breakout Clearing Foaming Wash contains a blend of botanicals and Salicylic Acid to help decongest the pores and clear breakouts. As many teenager skins can also be sensitive, this cleanser has calming and soothing benefits too.
How do I cleanse my skin?
The good news is cleansing can be done in the shower or at the bathroom basin. I do as much as I can in the shower as I am more inclined to remember it.
- Ensure all hair is off the face so that all areas of the face are cleansed
- Dispense a pea-sized amount of the Breakout Clearing Foaming Face Wash to wet hands. Lather well with water and once you have a nice fluffy foam, apply to the face and neck area
- Work in circular motions, paying particular attention to the outer areas of the face and near the hairline too as even the oil from hair can find its way to the sides of our face.
- Remove with a warm face cloth and lukewarm water.
- Then, cleanse the skin again. This second cleanse cleanses the skin completely and prepares the skin for effective product absorption.
After cleansing with the Breakout Clearing Foaming Face Wash apply your Micro-Pore Mist, a breakout target treatment like the Breakout Booster, and then your moisturiser. For daytime moisturiser, we recommend the Oil Clearing Matte Moisturiser SPF 15 and at night the Skin Hydrating Lotion.
- Breakout fighting, foaming wash
- Clears away dead skin cells, dirt and excess oils that clog pores and cause breakouts.
- Use on your face, back, neck... wherever skin requires deep cleaning and pore clearing for fewer breakouts.
Clear Start products we recommend to go with this cleanser:
- Ultra-light, non-greasy hydrating formula
- Controls oily areas like the nose and forehead for an all-over matte finish.
- SPF helps shield against the UV rays that can make breakouts worse and cause dark spots.
- Say goodbye to dehydrated, breakout-irritated skin
- Lightweight moisturiser!
- Sheer, easy-to-apply formula helps soothe discomfort and hydrate areas that feel dry.
- A pore minimising, oil reducing toner
- For daily to reduce the appearance of pores, brighten and even skin tone
- Provides an all over balanced hydration.
- Spray on as a grab-and-go toner in the morning and evening, or use it during the day to smooth away excess sebum or shine.
- Fast-acting, light-weight formula
- Helps clear pores and kills breakout causing bacteria for rapid skin clearing.
- Works as either a spot treatment or an all-over breakout prevention treatment for breakout-prone skin.
- Patented TT Technology and Phytoplankton Extract work with skin’s natural microbiome and help prevent over-drying.
About the Author
My name is Sarah and I am the founder of GLO Skin Body. With over 17 years experience, I believe a professional relationship with your skin therapist is crucial in helping you to achieve your skin care goals and to ensure your skin is always looking and feeling its best. Whether it's in person or through our online support, Im here to guide and support you towards your healthiest skin ever.
On a personal note, I am a Mum of 3 so I understand completely the juggles and balancing of life and family commitments . My goal is to help everyone have an effective and enjoyable home care routine that gets you the results you want...no matter how busy you are!