Serums! Such a buzz word in the world of skincare. Serums are like vitamins for our body, they are supplements to the skin. Everyone should be using a serum in their skin regime. It is the greatest addition to target your skin concerns with potent ingredients.
Why should I use a serum?
Serums have a smaller molecular structure, which works to intently deliver powerful ingredients into the skin. This delivery system works more deeply, effectively, absorbs easily and quickly to the dermal layers.
Serums also contain a higher percentage of Active Ingredients than any other product in your skincare routine.
I am a serum queen, I love my serums and how the results improve my skin concerns!
Can I just use a moisturiser and not a serum?
Moisturisers are generally designed to protect the skin and prevent hydration loss. The thicker, heavier ingredients in creams coat the skin to form a barrier. As these have a larger molecule structure it can not penetrate deeper into the dermal layers like a serum. This is why serums don't have a function of 'moisturising'. I always recommend having a moisturiser as well as a serum. A moisturiser is a professional skin protector and always the last step of your skin regime.
When do I use my serums?
Serums can be used every day, morning, and night after cleansing the face. I use different serums from AM to PM as I have more than one skin concern. Some serums should be used less frequently than every day or only at night time, so please make sure to follow the guidance of your skin therapist.
When should I start using a serum?
There are different types of serums to treat all skin concerns and conditions from acne, hyperpigmentation, sensitive and dehydrated skin. I would always be guided by your therapist as it always depends on what you are treating. Starting from puberty to treat severe hormonal breakouts to young 20s to prevent ageing and sun damage. Your skin concerns and skin conditions all play a factor in your skincare journey.
What Dermalogica serum should I use?
Dermalogica has an array of serums and are incredible at targeting the specific concerns we face. To help you navigate which one is right for you, we have listed below the serums in the concern that fits best:
- Age-Induced Pigmentation and Dark Spots
- Ageing and Rejuvenation
- Acne and Breakouts
- The Neck
- Teenage Breakouts
- Immediately hydrates to quench dehydrated skin
- Delivers long-lasting hydration to help prevent future dehydration
- Replenishes skin from within
- Targets the 4 mains concerns of the skin: Hydration, Firmness, Brightness and Pigmentation
2. Age-Induced Pigmentation and Dark Spots
- Fades darks spots in just days
- Prevents future dark spots
- Brightens and boosts skin's natural luminosity
- High-performance Vitamin- C
- Brightens and firms
- Prevents free radical damage
3. Ageing and Rejuvenation
- Most advanced serum for ageing
- Instant luminosity
- Reduces visible wrinkles in 4 weeks
- Powerful peptide serum
- Enhances skin nourishment
- Boosts skin luminosity
4. Acne and Breakouts
- Targets breakouts and ageing
- Night time oil
- Clearer skin overnight
- 2-in-1 brightening and clearing serum
- Hydrates and smoothes
- More even skin tone
5. The Neck
- Visibly lifts, tightens, tones and firms neck and décolleté
- Smooths fine lines and reduces appearance of skin ageing
- Protects skin against pollution
6. Teenage Breakouts
- Clears pores
- Kills breakout-causing bacteria
- Wont over-dry the skin
- Helps visibly fade post breakout marks
- Gently exfoliates and evens skin tone
- Restores and nourishes compromised skin
About the Author
My name is Sarah and I am the founder of GLO Skin Body. With almost 20 years experience, I believe a professional relationship with your skin therapist is crucial in helping you to achieve your skin care goals and to ensure your skin is always looking and feeling its best. Whether it's in person or through our online support, Im here to guide and support you towards your healthiest skin ever.
On a personal note, I am a Mum of 3 so I understand completely the juggles and balancing of life and family commitments . My goal is to help everyone have an effective and enjoyable home care routine that gets you the results you want...no matter how busy you are!