Do you avoid using SPF because it makes your skin feel oily?
Do you dislike the way that SPF feels on your skin - thick and gluggy?
Do you have oily skin and feel like SPF makes you breakout?
If you answered YES to any of the questions above, then I'm here to help you find an SPF suitable for your oily skin. Not using SPF is simply not an option!
Firstly, let's look at a few key areas to help you understand your skin a little more.
Why is my skin oily?
We are all born with a genetic make up that determines how oily or dry our skin may be. For those of you with oily skin - You are in luck!! Oily skins will age at a slower rate than dry skins.
The downfall is that oily skins experience excess oil/sebum secretions. It also comes with larger pores, more blackheads and possibly a tendency for acne and congestion.
A home care routine personalised to suit your oily skin is important to ensure the oil flow is controlled and keep congestion and acne at bay.
If you experience an oil shine on your skin in the morning or the early hours of the afternoon, then we consider the skin to be fairly oily.
Why does my skin feel oily when using SPF?
This can occur because the SPF is thick in texture. It can feel like it's sitting on top of the skin and that, combined with your oily secretions, feels like you are a beacon shining brightly! Not to mention the potential increase in breakouts that may come with this too.
You should aim for an oil-free moisturiser and SPF in one or an oil-free SPF with a matte finish.
Why should I use SPF?
SPF is a must-have product. Every. Single. Day! Regardless of the weather or the time of the year.
We have all heard about the damaging UV rays, but why are they so bad for us?
There are 2 types of UV rays we need to protect ourselves from:
UVA: These are our daylight rays, also known as our 'ageing rays'. We are exposed to UVA rays from sunrise to sunset. These ageing rays break down our collagen and elastin - the support structures that keep our skin firm and strong.
UVB: These are our "burning rays". Depending on where we live and the climate, the time frame may be different, however, these are prevalent in the middle parts of the day and they 'burn' the skin. This results in extreme damage to the skin and comes with pain and discomfort.
Your SPF must have protection against both UVA and UVB rays. We recommend applying your SPF at least 30mins before exposure and ensure you reapply your SPF if spending prolonged time outdoors.
So in a nutshell, the best anti-ageing product you can be using? Yes, that's right, SPF!
What's the best Dermalogica SPF for oily skin?
- Oil-Free, lightweight and ultra-sheer
- Mattifies an oily shine
- Provides defense against skin-aging UV light
- Niacinamide, Biotin, Zinc Gluconate, Caffeine and Yeast: Advanced blend of ingredients known for their purifying properties
- Oil absorbers help maintain an all-day matte finish, preventing shine without any powdery residue.
Best Dermalogica SPF for Teenage Skin
- Ultra-lightweight moisturiser provides a long-lasting matte finish
- Protects and helps shield skin from UV rays, pollution, make-up and dehydration without clogging pores
- Boosts hydration levels and combating the dehydrating effects of environmental stress
- Certified cruelty-free, gluten-free and vegan
- Broad Spectrum protection to help defend skin against UV rays, which may lead to the appearance of uneven skin tone.
Antioxidant Willow Bark Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract
and Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C) combat the irritating effects of pollution, even on
- Patented TT (Terpineol and Thymol) Technology works with skin’s natural microbiome. and helps reduce sebum on the surface of skin.
- Natural Tapioca Starch, a powerful oil adsorber, mattifies skin and helps reduce oily shine.
- Plant-derived D-Glucose (Saccharide Isomerate) actively helps prevent dehydration.
Not really oily, but still prefer a lightweight SPF?
If you prefer an SPF that is on the lighter side in terms of consistency, then I recommend the Prisma Protect SPF15
Prisma Protect SPF15 works with the skin’s daytime defense mode to:
- Defends against UV rays, free radical damage and pollution
- Hydrates for visibly smooth skin all day long
- Boost skin’s natural luminosity
- Intelligent Drone Technology targeted capsules boost the skins natural luminosity
- Advanced Moisture Magnets provide all-day hydration for visibly smooth skin
- Matcha Tea neutralises free radicals and helps to defend skin against pollution
- Broad Spectrum SPF15 protection using a blend of best-in-class chemical sunscreens
- A bio-ferment from Sage helps to brighten, soothe and even skin tone
If you need any further advice about your skin and which SPF product is best for you please reach out.
About the Author
My name is Sarah and I am the founder of GLO Skin Body. With almost 20 years experience, I believe a professional relationship with your skin therapist is crucial in helping you to achieve your skin care goals and to ensure your skin is always looking and feeling its best. Whether it's in person or through our online support, Im here to guide and support you towards your healthiest skin ever.
On a personal note, I am a Mum of 3 so I understand completely the juggles and balancing of life and family commitments . My goal is to help everyone have an effective and enjoyable home care routine that gets you the results you want...no matter how busy you are!