Tightness in the skin is more common than we realise, and dehydration is the main reason for that.
Tightness is that feeling of wanting to put more moisturiser on during the day (or feeling that your current moisturiser is not doing enough). It can also seem that your products simply disappear after you have applied them.
One change we need to make is to instantly, after noticing tightness in our skin, apply a heavier moisturiser. However, this may be conflicting with your skin type, so before you reach for a new moisturiser - think Hydration!
Climate, lifestyle and diet all contribute to the dehydration of the skin. It's inevitable, and most skins are dehydrated to some extent.
Why is hydration important for the skin?
Well, to begin with, hydrated skin feels AMAZING! I find that my skin feels lighter, supple and glowy... and people will notice this, which is always nice.
Here are some other key benefits to a hydrated skin:
- Your skin will look younger, plump and feel healthier
- It makes our protective barrier healthier which means we'll have less tendency to sensitivity and irritation
- This protective barrier also keeps the nasty toxins away and protect us from environmental assaults
- Your makeup, self-tan etc will look more even
What other signs indicate that my skin is dehydrated?
When the skin is dehydrated we can see an increase in fine lines, sensitivity and, if you have an acne-prone skin, an increase in congestion and breakouts. We could also notice that our skin looks dull.
What can I use to boost hydration in the skin?
Hyaluronic Acid - Naturally found in the skin, Hyaluronic Acid keeps the skin's moisture levels high - it is a part of our "support structure", along with collagen and elastin. However, unfortunately it naturally decreases as we age.
The good news is that Dermalogica has some key products containing not only Hyaluronic Acid, but plenty of other Active Ingredients to help boost hydration!
Let me take you through the key Dermalogica products that help boost hydration in the skin:
- Non-greasy and suitable for all skins
- Hydrates and smooths
- Brings radiance and glow to the skin daily
- Feather- Light and absorbs quickly
- Smooths fine lines of dehydration
- Gives a dewy appearance to the skin
- Calms, soothes and hydrates
- Builds skin resilience and protection
- Apply for 10mins twice a week as a min
- Exfoliant and Masque in-one
- Physical Exfoliation to smooth
- 5 minute masque to hydrate
If you need any advice about your skin or the Dermalogica products, please reach out to us.
About the Author
My name is Sarah and I am the founder of GLO Skin Body. With over 17 years experience, I believe a professional relationship with your skin therapist is crucial in helping you to achieve your skin care goals and to ensure your skin is always looking and feeling its best. Whether it's in person or through our online support, Im here to guide and support you towards your healthiest skin ever.
On a personal note, I am a Mum of 3 and I understand completely the juggles and balancing of life and family commitments . My goal is to help everyone have an effective and enjoyable home care routine that gets you the results you want...no matter how busy you are!