Do you often look at your skin and think of how dull, lifeless and "old" it appears? Don't worry, we have all been there.
Our skin can look dull, tired and lacklustre for several reasons. Let's take a look at the six areas to consider when it comes to dull-looking skin and my top tips to fight the dullness and claim back your GLO in time for summer!
1. Dead skin cells
This is one of the most common reasons for dull-looking skin. Our skin naturally sheds dead skin cells every 1-3 months, depending on our age. These dead skin cells are dry and dull.
The solution? Exfoliate! Regular exfoliation will rid your skin of those cells and encourage it to be consistently smooth and bright.
How often to exfoliate depends on each skin. If you are new to exfoliation, aim for twice a week. Finding the best exfoliant for your skin is also essential.
Here are my 3 favourite exfoliants to smooth and brighten the skin:
- Ideal for a sensitive skin
- Can use twice a week if starting out with exfoliation
- Ideal for Men
- Brightens and smoothes
- Activated charcoal removes skin-ageing pollution
- Prevents adherence of pollutants to skin
- Enzymes and hydroxy acids smooth and brighten the skin
- Targets adult breakouts and visible signs of ageing
- Clearer skin overnight
- Smooth and radiant skin
Does your skin feel tight? Or does it feel dry, yet oily?
Dehydration is a common occurrence in our skin, and the environment around us certainly contributes to this - along with diet, lifestyle and age.
Dehydrated skin can lead to breakouts, fine lines and sensitivity, so as an increase in oil flow (the skin's way to compensate for the lack of hydration). Dehydrated skin feels tight, dry, and looks dull.
Hydrated skin, on the other hand, looks plump, radiant, and it feels healthy.
So what keeps our skin hydrated?
Hyaluronic Acid - Naturally found in the skin, Hyaluronic Acid plays a vital role in the function and health of the skin, and it is capable of holding 1000x its weight in water.
Unfortunately, with age and external aggressions, Hyaluronic Acid production naturally decreases, leading to an increase in dehydration.
My absolute favourite product containing Hyaluronic Acid in the Dermalogica range is the Skin Hydrating Booster. Its primary focus is to boost hydration levels in the skin. After applying it, my skin feels satisfied and brings radiance and glow.
- Boost moisture levels
- 5 drops morning and night
- Gives you that glow!
3. Stress levels
Stress causes our bodies to release cortisol as a coping mechanism. Although small doses of this hormone are harmless, when stress levels have been high for some time, it can start changing the skin.
Some of the changes are acne, ageing and sensitivity. High-stress levels can then lead into some bad habits - not eating our usual healthy foods, lack of sleep and an increase in alcohol consumption - all which accelerate the dehydration process in the skin.
- Lavender promotes a deep and restful sleep
- Reduces skin fatigue
- Boosts the skins vitality
- Increases radiance over night
- Promotes rejuvenation and reapir while you sleep
4. Your homecare routine has been inconsistent
- Do you go to bed with your make-up still on?
- Do you go to bed without doing your skincare routine because you are too tired?
- Do you avoid moisturiser in the morning because you feel more oily?
- Do you have products in your cupboard, but are inconsistent with using them?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then I have a solution.
Try this for a week:
Cleanse your skin in the morning and at night and apply your home care products consistently every single day of the week. If these products are right for your skin, then I can guarantee you will notice a difference. From there, keep going.
My skincare routine is done morning and night without fail, and my skin feels and looks better because of it. I am human though, and there are rare occasions in which I go to bed without cleansing my skin, but I can certainly feel it the next morning. My skin feels tight and looks blotchy, and I feel yuck. Keep consistency every-single-day. Your skin will be thankful!
- Promotes brighter skin from within
- Skin looks youthful, more radiant and even
- Ultra-stable Vitamin C
- Prevents and repairs the skin from free radical damage
5. Sugar intake has been higher than normal
Oh, the sweetness of life! It's funny how chocolate is the first thing that comes to mind for me - decadent and comforting. Besides our waistline, sugar does affect our skin considerably, and I am talking more from the processed sugar angle.
Would you believe that sugar sucks all the hydration out of our skin cells, leading to dehydration and dull-looking skin? Eating foods with high levels of processed sugar can also lead to an increase in inflammation and oil, which is a feeding ground for bacteria if you have acne-prone skin.
6. Your environment is playing havoc with your skin
Our daily surroundings can affect our skin in different ways. Pollution, for instance, is one of the biggest enemies of our skin.
Pollution particles are small enough to enter the skin and strip the skin of barrier lipids, which help retain moisture and keep out dirt and other impurities.
A compromised skin barrier can lead to increased skin sensitivity, discomfort and premature signs of skin aging, especially pigmentation issues. Pollution also increases the dull appearance of the skin.
- Dual action cleanses and purifies
- Removes excess oil and impurities that lead to congestion and breakouts
- Protects the skin's microbiome and natural barrier
- Dermalogica's most advanced serum
- Doubles the skins luminosity
- Reduces visible wrinkles in 4 weeks
- Use morning and night for best results
If you feel like your skin is looking dull and need some advice, please reach out to us.
About the Author
My name is Sarah and I am the founder of GLO Skin Body. With over 17 years experience, I believe a professional relationship with your skin therapist is crucial in helping you to achieve your skin care goals and to ensure your skin is always looking and feeling its best. Whether it's in person or through our online support, Im here to guide and support you towards your healthiest skin ever.
On a personal note, I am a Mum of 3 and I understand completely the juggles and balancing of life and family commitments . My goal is to help everyone have an effective and enjoyable home care routine that gets you the results you want...no matter how busy you are!