The most common skin concern I have seen in my almost 20 years of experience as a Skin Therapist is skin ageing.
Whilst we cannot control many of the factors that accelerate skin ageing (e.g.: pollution), we can ensure our skin is exposed to the best ingredients to slow down these changes. Here, we go through our top 6 best anti-ageing ingredients that target a changing skin.
Not an ingredient, but your best anti-ageing hero, so we could not start this list without it!
The biggest driver of premature skin ageing is UV rays and it's not just those harmful rays in the middle of the day that we need protection from, but daylight in general. From the moment the sun rises until it sets, we are surrounded by UVA rays (what we refer to as the 'ageing rays'). UVA Rays are the most damaging rays and can break down our collagen and elastin (the most important support structurea to keep our skin firm).
A daily application of sunscreen is a must for everyone, but especially if you have concerns of ageing and uneven skin tone! Applying a moisturiser with an in-built susncreen is the easiest way to ensure your skin is protected.
- Moisture-rich spheres allow for SPF performance while using fewer chemical sunscreens
- Enhances the skin’s natural ability to fight skin-ageing
- Helps prevent the signs of ageing
- Reduces the degrade in collagen brought on by UV rays
- Provides long-lasting hydration and reinforces skin’s natural moisture barrier
- Provides critical protection from daylight exposure, yet blends smoothly into skin to create a perfected finish
Retinol is a type of retinoid made from Vitamin A. It's a winning ingredient that targets multiple concerns on our skin. Here are some of the benefits of Retinol for the skin:
- Helps reverse the signs of skin ageing by accelerating skin cell renewal
- Reduces the appearance of wrinkles, fine lines and age spots
- Helps reduce the appearance of acne by helping prevent dead skin cells from clogging pores
- Helps clear breakouts at a faster rate
- Helps even skin tone
- This retinol is microencapsulated to deliver a quicker, more effective penetration of the retinol to address the signs of ageing
- Helps reduce uneven skin tone and discolouration
- Synchronises with your nighttime circadian rhythms for dramatic nighttime skin repair
- We recommend gradually introducing retinol into your home care routine
Peptides are proteins that are found in every human cell and they play a vital role in how our body function. They are referred to as 'messengers' and they communicate with cells what to do and what not to do. They are essential for life!
Peptides are essential for our skin because they support collagen, elastin and keratin in our body. These peptides keep our skin strong, resilient and are responsible for the texture of our skin too.
When applied topically to the skin, peptides act as little messengers, triggering skin cells to perform specific functions such as building collagen and elastin, encouraging the skin to look and act younger. They also have an amazing ability to turn off the function of a cell. For example, peptides can tell cells not to make melanin which shows itself as pigmentation on our skin.
- Phyto-Nature Firming Serum is a dual-phased formula incorproating peptides that target past damage to the skin and helps slow down future ageing in the skin
- Visibly revitalises the skin and decreases the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Visibly tightens the skin and reduces the appearance of premature skin ageing.
- Delivers skin-firming results over time, but it also delivers an instant flash-filler effect with next-generation Hyaluronic Acid
Vitamin C is a powerhouse antioxidant and helps fight the signs of ageing on the skin. Vitamin C acts as an antioxidant, helping to protect cells from the free radical damage we encounter daily - think pollution, cigarette smoke, alcohol and overprocessed foods.
When applied topically to our skin, Vitamin C is one of the most potent antioxidants available – and it lives up to the hype, effectively tackling the primary causes of premature ageing.
- Brightens the skin by exfoliating and reducing unbalanced pigmentation.
- Firms and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Defends the skin and prevents and corrects free radical damage.
Hyaluronic Acid has the incredible ability to hold moisture in the skin. Think of hyaluronic acid like a big drink of water for the skin. It penetrates the skin and binds water to skin cells, infusing all layers of the skin with valuable, rejuvenating moisture.
Unfortunately, as we age, our natural levels of Hyaluronic Acid reduce and combined with factors like pollution and UV rays, it's common to see an acceleration of dehydration in our skin.
- Locks in hydration and promotes a healthy skin barrier
- Minimises water evaporation from the surface of the skin
- Delivers natural hydration to the skin from the moisturie in the atmosphere
- Stimulates our own hyaluronic acid production
AHA's and BHA's
AHA's are considered to be a chemical exfoliant, which means acids or enzymes are used to remove the dead skin cells from the surface of our skin by dissolving them. There are common types of AHA's commonly used in skincare products such as: Glycolic Acid, Lactic Acid, Malic Acid and Citric Acid.
BHA's help exfoliate the skin and are very effective in targeting concerns of ageing, acne and blemish-prone skin. The most popular BHA is Salicylic Acid. BHA exfoliants works on the upper layers of the skin, lifting dead skin cells away from the layer of healthy, radiant skin hidden underneath.
- Gently polishes off dulling skin cells to reveal smoother, fresher skin immediately.
- Thermal technology activates upon contact with water to drive beneficial ingredients further into skin.
- Provides antioxidant protection while suppressing skin ageing
- Inhibits the breakdown of collagen
- Skin looks and feels dramatically improved and smoother
About the Author
My name is Sarah and I am the founder of GLO Skin Body. With almost 20 years experience, I believe a professional relationship with your skin therapist is crucial in helping you to achieve your skin care goals and to ensure your skin is always looking and feeling its best. Whether it's in person or through our online support, Im here to guide and support you towards your healthiest skin ever.
On a personal note, I am a Mum of 3 so I understand completely the juggles and balancing of life and family commitments . My goal is to help everyone have an effective and enjoyable home care routine that gets you the results you want...no matter how busy you are!