Hydrated skin - what does it look like, how does it feel, and why is it important?
Hyaluronic Acid = Hydration
Hyaluronic Acid is naturally found in the Dermal layer of the skin (the layer below our outer layer of the skin called the epidermis). This layer is deep and houses important support structures like collagen and elastin.
Hyaluronic Acid is essential for maintaining moisture levels and 'plumpness' in the skin.
How does hydrated skin look and feel?
Plump, supple and happy!
From a personal viewpoint, when my skin is hydrated and my moisture levels are healthy, my skin feels light, plump and supple and looks radiant.
Hydrated skin feels smooth and comfortable, meaning that I don't notice any tightness on the skin. It's like a well-oiled machine - everything just works properly.
When my skin feels dehydrated, it feels tight (a feeling like a want to cleanse my skin and reapply my makeup). I also find my makeup doesn't sit on the skin as well.
What causes dehydration on the skin?
Unfortunately, the levels of Hyaluronic Acid naturally found in our skin decline with age. Combine this with external and environmental factors, and you'll have the reason why it's so important to incorporate hydrating products in your home care routine daily.
Many factors play a part in causing dehydration on the skin, and no matter what skin type or skin concern you have, you can still be dehydrated.
Here are some factors that contribute to dehydration:
- Inconsistency with your home care routine eg.: not using moisturiser, not cleansing your skin
- Lack of water
- Processed Sugar
Our skin concerns can also be accentuated when the skin is dehydrated:
- Breakouts and under the skin congestion can increase (especially for teenage and young adult skin)
- We can appear to have more fine lines of dehydration
- The skin looks dull and lacklustre
What can I use to boost the hydration in my skin?
Topically applying hydrating products to the skin means the skin is the first place to benefit. Here are our favourite Dermalogica hydrating boosting products:
- Relieves the 'tight' feeling we often experience
- Reduces fine lines of dehydration
- Skin looks radiant and feels supple
- Non-greasy and suitable for all skin types including the oily skins
- Exfoliation and Hydration work in synergy and this dual-action formula exfoliates and hydrates simultaneously
- In one step it delivers a gentle, effective exfoliation along with an immediate hydration boost
- Results in smooth, luminous, healthy-looking skin.
- A refreshing and hydrating antioxidant toner
- Can be used throughout the day and can even be spritzed over make up
- Creates a antioxidant shield to protect against free radical damage
- Hydrates to help smooth fine lines
- Naturally derived exfoliating properties to smooth the skin
- Essential oils and botanical extracts help nourish and hydrate the skin of the body
- Apply morning and night after showering while the skin is still damp
- Can also be used throughout the day as needed
If you need any advice about which Dermalogica products are right for you, please contact us for advice.
About the Author
My name is Sarah and I am the founder of GLO Skin Body. With over 17 years experience, I believe a professional relationship with your skin therapist is crucial in helping you to achieve your skin care goals and to ensure your skin is always looking and feeling its best. Whether it's in person or through our online support, Im here to guide and support you towards your healthiest skin ever.
On a personal note, I am a Mum of 3 so I understand completely the juggles and balancing of life and family commitments . My goal is to help everyone have an effective and enjoyable home care routine that gets you the results you want...no matter how busy you are!