Healthy skin goes a lot further than simply purchasing great skincare. Every skin is different and every skin concern deserves specific attention and care.
I personally believe these 5 habits are essential to keep your skin feeling and looking its best... regardless of the skin type or concern that you have.
#1 Double Cleanse Your Skin
But what exactly does double cleanse mean?
Double cleansing is the process whereby our first cleanse removes dirt, debris, oil and make up from the skin, allowing then our second cleanse to deeply and effectively cleanse the skin. Ideally, we want to use different products for the first and second cleanse.
Cleanse # 1
Use an oil-based cleanser to effectively remove dirt, debris, make up and impurities from the skin.
Oil-based cleansers are suitable for all skin types, even if you have oily skin! We recommend the PreCleanse or the PreCleanse Balm.
Pre-Cleansers dissolve oil/sebum, sunscreen and environmental pollutants from the skin, enabling a thorough cleanse (without compromising the skin’s natural barrier lipids or clogging pores!). They are also great make up removers: even for mascara and long-wearing lipstick!
Cleanse # 2
By getting rid of the debris first, the second, now water-based cleanser can really work its way deep into the skin, removing the likes of grime and sweat.
Not only is a double cleanse meant to give a more thorough cleanse, but it can also revitalize dull skin and allow other skin care products to penetrate more effectively.
To find out which Dermalogica cleanser is best for your second cleanse have a read of our blog: Cleansing: Am I Doing It Right?
#2 Apply Sunscreen Daily
Did you know that Sunscreen is your best anti-ageing product?
As a nation, we are great at protecting ourselves and our skin when we are going to be 'in the sun' - e.g.: at the beach, or at the park.
However, the opportunity for us here is to make sure we apply sunscreen DAILY - that means every season of the year, whether you'll be out in the sun or not.
Why do we need to use sunscreen every single day?
UV rays come in 2 main forms:
1. UVA - These are the 'ageing' rays. They are present when we are in 'daylight'. Whether we are driving during the day, walking in and out of shops outside or sitting by a window, we are being exposed to these ageing rays.
We might not get sunburnt, but the skin damage is getting done anyway... we just won't notice it's happening at the time.
Applying sunscreen daily will protect your skin and help slow down the ageing process.
2. UVB - Known as the burning rays, UVB rays are present during the hottest part of the day (usually around lunch time until mid afternoon, depending on where you are located).
This is the time we need to reapply our sunscreen frequentlly if spending prolonged periods outdoors. If we are swimming, we must also reapply the SPF when we get out of the water.
- Dermalogica's best selling moisturiser
- Provides SPF performance while using fewer chemical sunscreens
- Enhances the skin’s natural ability to fight and pevent the signs of skin-ageing
- Provides long-lasting hydration and reinforces skin’s natural moisture barrier.
- Provides critical protection from daylight exposure, yet blends smoothly into skin to create a perfected finish.
#3 Drink Water
When you drink water, the last place to benefit is actually your skin. What water will do though, is hydrate our cells and help flush out toxins from our system and this helps the skin look clearer.
Water is also necessary for our bodies to run optimally, and to help nutrients reach the skin through proper blood flow.
However, since the skin is the last organ to receive water, we must help hydrate the skin topically. Every Dermalogica product does target hydration, but our favourite hydrating product is the Skin Hydrating Booster.
- Non-greasy formula suitable for all skin conditions.
- Contains Hyalurnoic Acid - which holds 1000x times its weight in water
- Hydrates tissues to smooth the skin, improve suppleness and minimise the appearance of fine lines.
- Restores barrier layer to retain critical moisture levels.
- Revitalises parched skin - it's like a big drink of water for your skin.
#4 Be Consistent
Consistency is the key to healthy skin!
Starting the day with a cleanse is like my morning coffee... it's a must and a great way to welcome in the new day.
Our daytime routine is designed to protect and keep our skin hydrated during the day.
At nighttime, our routine is a must because it removes the day's accumulation of dirt and debris and prepares our skin for the nighttime repair and rejuvenation process that happens when we sleep.
If you aren't currently doing your home care routine, I give you this guarantee - follow your home care routine morning and night, everyday for a week and you will notice how different your skin looks and feels.
#5 Use Breathable Foundation
Mineral-based make up allows your skin to breathe and doesn't clog your pores with chemicals, artificial colours etc.
Oxygenetix is a breakthrough foundation that goes the extra mile when it comes to our skin.
Read more about Oxygenetix and find your perfect shade: The Foundation That Conceals And Heals Your Skin
- Formulated to help heal and camouflage damaged skin. Suitable for most skin types, including sensitive skin
- Covers up a wide range of skin conditions including dry skin, eczema, rosacea, scars, bruising, wounds and rashes
- Includes SPF to keep delicate skin protected against the sun’s harmful UV rays and the hydrating oil-free formula is both water-resistant and transfer-proof
About the Author
My name is Sarah and I am the founder of GLO Skin Body. With over 17 years experience, I believe a professional relationship with your skin therapist is crucial in helping you to achieve your skin care goals and to ensure your skin is always looking and feeling its best. Whether it's in person or through our online support, Im here to guide and support you towards your healthiest skin ever.
On a personal note, I am a Mum of 3 so I understand completely the juggles and balancing of life and family commitments . My goal is to help everyone have an effective and enjoyable home care routine that gets you the results you want...no matter how busy you are!